Consultation for practitioners and professionals
Since october 2010, the Elder Mistreatment Helpline (LAAA) offers a bilingual (French and English), free and confidential consultation service. This service is intended for practitioners and professionals from the health and social services network, community organizations and the financial sector across Quebec.
Depending on the situation and the needs expressed by the service provider or professional, this service may include:
- a discussion and common understanding of the context of the mistreatment
- the identification of elements to be assessed by the provider /professional
- the identification of potential mechanisms of intervention
- the identification of relevant ressources
- a discussion regarding prioritization of interventions
- a discussion about the clinical and ethical aspects of the situation
One of the objectives of the consultation is to offer optimal support to practitioners. Following a consultation with the Elder Mistreatment Helpline (LAAA), service providers/professionals should feel equipped to take action with the older adult and those close to him or her. They will also gain clarity on their professional responsibilities and boundaries.
Note that for highly complex situations, the Elder Mistreatment Helpline professionals can consult or refer to the Provincial Multisectorial Consultation Team. This team is comprised of professionals from various disciplines, organizations and institutions and offers a consultation service that specifically addresses the needs of practitioners confronted with difficult mistreatment situations.
FOR A PROFESSIONAL CONSULTATION
Please contact the Line at 1-888-489-2287
7 days / week, 8 am to 8 pm – Voice mailbox accessible at all times